Can you hear the first sigh of Autumn, my cherished reader? As the sweltering heat of mid-summer in the Northern hemisphere lifts, August ushers a welcome sense of relief. July definitely felt like a long stretch featuring six retrogrades (five planets plus Chiron) and two eclipses.
I would like to gently remind everyone that even though Mercury goes direct on July 31st, it is often during the post-shadow phase when miscommunications or misunderstandings are revealed. Sometimes during Mercury retrograde we’ll think we are on the same page as someone only to discover the errors or missed details after the fact. Despite whatever incongruities surface, I’m definitely getting the sense that August is going to be a month of new beginnings—especially with two new moons on August 1st and August 30th.
Without further ado, I will disclaim that this forecast is very general. I highly recommend that you refer to the transits in your own natal chart to really get a sense of how these planetary movements will affect you personally. Anyways, without further ado, here are my notes for August 2019:
Happy Leo season! Virgo season commences on August 23rd. With a black moon (a second New Moon in the same month), August really does feel like a month of “new beginnings” to me, especially after all the energetic stirring we felt during July. This Leo season should provide a nice reprieve, indeed!
– New Moon in Leo on August 1st. A blessed Lammas (or Lugnasadh) indeed! Very appropriate for the pagan holiday commemorating the Irish god and self-assured “Master of Skills” Lugh; this new moon proves to be a great opportunity to build confidence, ignite passion, and embrace pleasure! A great cycle to discover and hone our talents or gifts.
– Venus in Leo square Uranus in Taurus on August 2nd. Our needs for comfort, pleasure, and love might be difficult to meet, challenged, or stretched in uncomfortable ways. We might also feel a bit of a financial pinch around this time.
– Sun in Leo trine Jupiter in Sagittarius on August 7th. I’m actually very excited for this aspect, since the Sun and Jupiter are in their respective signs, Leo and Sagittarius. A deep well of energy, passion, and creativity to draw from. A great opportunity to forge self-esteem and confidence. Exciting travel opportunities abound!
– Venus in Leo trine Jupiter in Sagittarius on August 8th. A very lovely aspect, especially after Venus square Uranus on August 2nd. Sensuality, creativity, and pleasure are available to the collective in large quantities. Just beware not to overspend or overindulge.
– Mercury enters Leo on August 11th. Our communication and expression takes on a dramatic flair. A great time to express ourselves through creativity, but especially dance, acting, and the fine arts.
– Sun conjuncts Venus in Leo on August 14th. Yet another luscious aspect with Venus. An opening between the ego and the heart. Relationships or connections can really flourish with this pair in Leo. Enjoy this bountiful beauty, but be mindful that these feelings are not always going to feel this strong. On the flip side, otherwise small issues in relationships or finances may also boil over—things are running hot!
– Full Moon in Aquarius on August 15th. Being from the Northern hemisphere, the phrase, “Warm days, cool nights,” comes to mind for August—especially with this Full Moon. Aquarius can help us establish a healthy sense of non-attachment.
– Mercury in Leo square Uranus in Taurus on August 16th. Uranus actually goes Retrograde on August 12th (see below), which makes this square one that might cause some uncomfortable conflict or disagreements that make us re-evaluate the things we cherish. Perhaps a gross clash of ideals.
– Mars enters Virgo on August 18th. Mars can really agitate Virgo and spark its notorious qualities for perfectionism, criticism, and detail-oriented nature. This needn’t be a “bad” placement, however, as this transit can really help us achieve our best work.
– Venus enters Virgo on August 21st. Remember how cute you thought all those quirky things your partner or romantic interest did last week was? Don’t be surprised if half of those things start to drive you crazy. During this transit we can get discerning or choosy in love. But make no mistake, this is not an ascetic placement—our biggest sexual organ is the brain, and intellect is extremely titillating at this time. An air of frugality might also inspire some tightening over our spending habits.
– Sun enters Virgo on August 23rd. With the party (Leo season) over, the collective feels the urge to get back to work. A time for evaluation, routines, and focusing on health and wellness. While it might not seem like the most exciting time of year, there is an element of reaping what we have sown with the harvest season.
– Venus in Virgo conjuncts Mars in Virgo on August 24th. Honestly? I just keep thinking of the Beyoncé song “Flawless.” A lust for utter perfection, refined beauty, and sharp intellect. Passion is not dormant with this aspect, and with a little mental stimulation (the art of seduction), sex and love can be explosive.
Venus in Virgo trines Uranus in Taurus on August 26th. While Uranus isn’t exactly comfortable in Taurus, it forms a very “cozy” trine with Taurus’ ruling planet, Venus. The word “nesting” comes to mind, possibly seeking out comfort or pleasure in new places or ways. We are thinking a lot about beauty, love, and abundance in a very practical (detached?) way.
– Mars in Virgo trines Uranus in Taurus on August 28th. An impulse might just lead you to take a totally different and revolutionary approach to a situation, relationship, or area of your life; especially finances. A good time to “make your own way” or embody the spirit of independence.
– Mercury enters Virgo on August 29th. Mercury not only makes itself at home in its native sign of Virgo, it is exalted here. A sharpening in focus—perfect for detail-oriented and writing-based projects.
– New Moon in Virgo on August 30th. Referred to as a “black moon,” this second new moon in August really makes this a month of new beginnings. I almost liken this lunar placement to New Years’ Resolutions: committing to new routines, especially regarding health and wellness; and otherwise getting our lives in order. Also aids us in objectively assessing our emotions, beliefs, and subconscious.
Though Mercury retrograde goes direct on July 31st, we are still very much in “retrograde season,” with Saturn, Jupiter, Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto featured on the list of retrograde planets for August. As I mentioned above, sometimes we find ourselves having to play “catch up” during the post-shadow phase of Mercury retrograde, which won’t pick up it’s normal pace until August 15th.
– Jupiter goes direct in Sagittarius on August 11th. Compound with the Sun and Venus trines to Jupiter, I really do feel like many people will be traveling or making travel plans in the first part of August. A sudden or unexpected change in “luck” for the better. Our optimism has been tempered for the past several months, and can now help us move forward in our lives.
– Uranus retrograde in Taurus on August 12th until January 1st. When one planet goes direct, another goes Retrograde… Though this waning or inverting of Uranus’ influence might not necessarily be a bad thing. A window of time where we are reflecting upon and reconsidering our values, both fiscal and moral. A great time to see ourselves in a new light, gaining new perspectives, and for spiritual growth.